Re: AI boxing

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 22:04:06 MDT

On 7/22/05, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:
> Yay! I've been waiting for someone to make that connection since forever.
> That's exactly the literary reference that goes through my mind every time
> someone says, "No AI can possibly convince *me*..."

^.^

> But you *did* in fact just claim that no possible mental force can overcome
> your definitely and positively opposed WILL.

Not through a text-mode terminal at least; yes, I'll stand by that
claim. If the entity at the other end has telepathy, that's a
different thing. (Even the Children of the Lens never tried resorting
to the telegram as a weapon; though they might have had some success
that way, since nobody knew their capabilities.)

But I've yet to see anyone propose a Singularity strategy that both
depends on that, and doesn't fail immediately in some other way.

- Russell