Re: Fighting UFAI

From: D. Alex (adsl7iie@tpg.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 08:34:44 MDT

Despite reading all the old posts I can find on "AI boxing", I cannot see
that the "idea of containment is played out". The arguments against
containment seem to be based on unproven assertions and inapropriate
comparisons - and I would love to have someone correct me here and PROVE
that AI boxing is not feasible.

I also cannot accept that an AI that would be required to PROVE its benign
nature (prove mathematically while staying fully within the box) would be
able to pull the wool over the eyes of an appropriate gatekeeper commettee.
A proof is by definition sufficient, and just because it can be understood
and validated by such a committee does not make it invalid, even though a
much higher intelligence had the opportunity to bend it to its ends. There
need not be room for any subtelties beyond human understanding in a proof
like that.

Finally, why would a proof provided by the AI itself be less reliable than a
set of principles developed by humans to build friendly AI? It would seem
easier by far to check than to effectively develop a proof.

D. Alex