RE: Objective versus subjective reality: which is primary?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 23:20:03 MDT

Hi Jef,

> But when we consider which point of view provides the greatest
> explanatory capability (even for subjective concepts such as values), a
> more objective view provides both the advantage of greater detail as you
> pointed out, but similarly provides the advantage of the bigger picture
> where multiple subjective views combine to cancel out those observations
> which don't match their external reality and to reinforce those parts of
> individual subjective models which more closely match their external
> environment. Overall, an increasingly bigger view of thing tends to
> increasingly approximate what works and is thus considered more correct.
>
> What more is there to say?

Hmmm....

So basically, you're suggesting that objective reality is "more correct"
because it's "bigger"....

But isn't it the case that this "biggerness" (of objective as compared to
subjective reality) only exists from the perspective of objective reality?

>From the subjective perspective, subjective reality is bigger than objective
reality, isn't it? Because the former contains a whole bunch of funky
patterns in addition to the ones that are "objectively real"....

It seems to me what which sort of reality is bigger, is also a matter of
perspective.... No?

-- Ben