Re: Universalising an AGI's duty of care

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 15:09:18 MDT

On 7/18/05, Philip Sutton <Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au> wrote:
> I reckon we should start from the perspective of a person who is advising
> the makers of AGIs in another galaxy. What friendliness goals would we
> recommend that they adopt?

Well, whatever they choose to do to themselves, what I'd want them to
do regarding us is simply leave us alone, at least until we're at the
point where we can talk to them at their own level. That makes sense
to me as a policy for our FAI if we manage to build one: if hostile
aliens are encountered, fight back, but if non-hostile intelligent
life is encountered, leave it alone unless/until it gets to the same
level as us.

- Russell