RE: The Geddes conjecture

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 01:20:10 MDT

Marc Geddes wrote:
> Prediction: Calculations of determinstic outcomes
> based on fixed initial conditions
>
> Projection: Calculations of a *range* of possible
> outcomes based on changing conditions.

What is the bloody difference here? None worth arguing about that I can
see.

Let me rephrase for you: Your system produces a list of outcomes
ordered by their computed probability. This is your first-order
prediction. If you pop the first element off the list, you can build
another list, a second-order prediction based on the first-order
prediction. Oops, I mean "projection". Get as fancy as you want with
your probability lists, it is a distinction without a difference.

In short, the difference is a few lines of code in implementation. And
that is a difference not worth discussing here as far as I can tell.

j. andrew rogers