Re: of possible interest: interaction with autonomous agents

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 08:55:53 MDT

Lee Corbin wrote:

>>Also, if control was some indication of intelligence, then assumably
>>the people in the most powerful positions would be the most
>>intelligent? (And I *really* doubt this to be true).
>
> Everything else being equal, people in more powerful positions
> are more intelligent than people in less powerful positions.

That's an odd thing to say. Do you mean that all else being equal, you infer
that people in more powerful positions are probably more intelligent? That is
backed by the data. But do you mean that people in more powerful positions
are by definition more intelligent? That in virtue of having more options,
they are smarter? This would mean that I could stand outside an experiment
and control someone's intelligence with a dial.