Re: Degrees of abundance

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 14:19:31 MDT

 In your AMD case
> for instance, the customer can have any kind of CPU
> they want for relatively
> little money, as long as it is one of the few AMD
> designs. If they want
> something custom though then they have to go
> elsewhere.

You only need a few general purpose CPU designs -
it's the speed grades, number of CPUs, motherboard
selection, DRAM, add-in cards, and especially
software that lets you customise a system for a
particular purpose.

in many current manufacturing processes
> there are very expensive
> molds (or litho masks in the example of chips) that
> have to be created for any
> given design.

There are indeed some processes where large or
expensive components dictate a centralized means
of production. Imagine, though when the automated
steel plant makes the I-beams to build the
automated factories, and the automated chip factory
makes the control systems, etc. All the
factories as a set produce all of each others'
parts, plus extra for growth, plus end products
for humans to consume.

The set of automated factories as a whole represent
a replicating industrial system that can spin off
an abundance of material goods, without requiring
nanotech.

She also seems to mention things like
> aging which may literally
> require MNT, and may not be solvable using
> macroscale therapies/products.

I was responding to this part of the original message:
"In my view MNT is essential if we are to get to a
truly Abundant world
on multilple levels congruent with our benevolent
goals and perhaps
essential to human survival. Many of the current
global tensisions
that threaten devastation play off of actual or
assumed scarcity."

That quote is talking about the scarcity/abundance
issue. Life extension is a whole other topic.

Daniel