Re: HUMOR: Open Letter to Kansas School Board

From: Matt Arnold (matt.mattarn@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 11:23:09 MDT

   The whole point of Intelligent Design, as distinct from more
traditional "Creation Science", is getting away from saying who did
the creating. Yes, they claim to be presenting a body of evidence
discrediting an existing descriptive framework of origins, but for
political reasons they explicitly avoid replacing it.
   Even so-called Creation Scientists, who don't shy away from
replacing it, offer only "at this point a miracle happens" as that
classic old cartoon depicts. One can't devise a theory of testable,
predictable mechanisms underlying god. That's a magical effect not
involving cause-and-effect relationships.
   The Spaghetti Monster is very funny but we can't surrender semantic
ground to creationists on the use of this word. Stongly-supported
theory really is better than that, but this will not be widespread
knowledge until we start insisting on a distinction from the
colloquial usage. That's why I prefer to call ID neither a theory nor
a dumb theory, but no theory at all. I spent many years advocating in
favor of Creation Science and Intelligent Design before I left
Christianity, and didn't know the difference at the time, but I do
now. Far from dumb, it is formidably clever at surviving, adapting and
reproducing in the mental environment of pew-sitters, inspired as it
is by a professor not of biology but of law, who specializes in
persuasion.
-Matt Arnold