Re: Proposed Universal data types

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 19:52:13 MDT

--- Daniel Radetsky <daniel@radray.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:15:39 +1200 (NZST)
> Marc Geddes <marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > This was based on my early hunch that
> > Bayesian reasoning was insufficient for general
> > intelligence (due to the fact that deductive
> reasoning
> > reasoning does not appear to fit into Bayesian
> > induction).
>
> You have got to be kidding me.
>
> Seriously, you have figured out by now that it does
> fit in, right?

No. No, I can't see how deductive reasoning fits into
Bayesian Induction at all. Please entertain me.

There is inductive (associative) reasoning, where one
is making probabilistic generalizations which don't,
strictly speaking, follow from the premises.

Then there is deductive (conceptual) reasoning, where
linearly ordered logical steps follow from axioms with
(near) certainty.

Now perhaps you might try to argue that deductive
reasoning is just a special case of induction, but I
don't see this.

---
THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,