RE: There is No Altruism

From: Christopher Healey (CHealey@unicom-inc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 15:12:49 MST

David,

Holy language-traps, Batman!!!

When Ettinger talks about self-interest, does he draw a distinction between immediate self-interest and deferred self-interest? That is the territory in which altruism lives. If you subtley redefine it to mean ONLY complete and utter selflessness, you drive it from it's homeland into the places where ideal gases roam.

I'll go so far as to call this whole mess a false dichotomy. Self-interest and altruism are not two extremes along some continuum; altruism's inception lies in self-interest combined with facilities for long-term planning. And detecting and punishing cheaters, who would take advantage of such goodwill. Many others have done great justice on this topic, so I'm not going to spend any time propounding it. A great example of such an intertwined relationship between concepts, which appear to be in opposition but are not, is detailed in Matt Ridley's "Nature via Nurture", if you're interested.

Ettinger also uses the argument that if the processing in a mind consists of manipulating internal concepts, then all we're really doing is executing some internal value judgement to maximize our internal happiness. Maybe I'm missing something, but we are hardwired to the world around us. Some of those internal mental states reflect actual execution of our manipulations. Drawing a line in the sand, at the edges of ones "mind", seems an arbitrary distinction. It's all in play; might as well call it *all* internal, or at least all relevent (in this hubble volume at least).

I think that when we see cooperation based on such deferred self-interest, that *is* what most of use would call altruism. Our altruism does exist, but it exists in a finely tuned balance between our multiple independent drives. No wonder it's such a tough topic to make any headway on. It is those drives that implement our altruistic motivations, based on their evolutionary social utility in different circumstances.

-Chris Healey