Re: intellectual property (Re: Totalitarian Assumptions in I, Robot)

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 04:30:04 MST

--- Phil Goetz <philgoetz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > If intellectual ownership creates corrupting
> > levels of wealth, lobbyists and legislators
> can
> > be paid to extend it again and again. Now
> tell me
> > why this cannont happen with patents also?
> Maybe
> > even over concepts needed for FAI?
> >
> > Tom Buckner
>
> The general flaws in our system of government
> are an entirely separate issue from
> intellectual
> property. If your reasoning were valid, you
> could attack any implemented policy by pointing
> to abuses of it, which always exist.
>
> - Phil

I completely disagree with your assertion that
this is an entirely separate issue; government
boils down to "how shall resources be allocated,
and who gets to decide?" and since intellectual
property and the profits it generates are a
resource, and since corruption can be described
as "hacking the government in order to steal
resources from the public", thus the issues are
fully conjoined.
However, I will not pursue this topic at length
since it will fast become snipeable.

Tom Buckner