RE: Minimum complexity of AI?

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 09:12:00 MST

Cyc presently consists of about 2.8 million lines of C code generated from
our Lisp dialect SubL. This includes our own portable SubL runtime
implementation. We also have 100K lines of java application code. About a
third of our staff are programmers.

-Steve

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Well, I think that a completed Novamente AGI would have less than 100K lines
> of C++, and that's without much effort for compactness. I guess this could
> be done in about 20K lines of LISP, again without obsessive effort for
> compactness. If you wanted to be really annoying and aggressive about
> code-length optimization, call it 5K lines of LISP.
>
> And the Novamente design hasn't been created with minimal size in mind,
> quite apart from coding-style issues. I imagine that if one wanted to
> create a modified design that took up as few lines as possible one could get
> it down to 2000 or so lines of highly cryptic LISP code. But this amount of
> compression would have an impact on the speed of self-modifiability because
> the system would have a harder time understanding and modifying its own
> cryptic code in the early stages. I think the 10K-20K lines version would
> be better.
>
> If one wanted to use LISP, which we have decided against at this point,
> though creating a LISP Novamente in the future isn't totally out of the
> question.
>
> -- Ben

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org