Re: The Gun Is Always Loaded

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 12:24:43 MST

On Feb 21, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Phil Goetz wrote:
> --- Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Eliezer keeps saying it, and it keeps being true.
>> The gun is always loaded, and there's no such
>> thing as too careful.
>
> If you believe that, you must believe that we
> should stop all research immediately and forever.

There is no "we" who can stop; you can only control
your own research efforts or lack thereof.

In any case, "most careful" will take into account
other risks and attempt to minimize the total risk
across all possibilities, so that a belief that
humanity will destroy itself, or that someone else's
AGI would be catastrophic, might result in a pace
which would be highly risky were that the only risk.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
"We have a world full of people who believe that bigger