Gould and complexity

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 11:59:07 MST

Phil Goetz Wrote:

> there is no tendency for species to increase in
> complexity over time.

Gould is right that if you pick a species at random and examine it you
will probably find little or no increase in complexity over time, but
looking at an average animal is not very interesting. If however you
look at a series of the very most complex species from various eras,
that is the really interesting ones, I believe you can find a general
increase in complexity over time. I also believe the smartest animal in
past eras is dumber than the smartest animal in future eras, although
the two animals may not be related.

John K Clark