Re: Ethics (was FAI (aka 'Reality Hacking'))

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 20:56:38 MST

--- Jef Allbright <jef@jefallbright.net> wrote:

> My point is that smaller communities face increasing
> pressure to merge
> with others, with increasing occurrence of
> conventionally held moral
> beliefs being tested against each other, and the
> tendency is for those
> which reflect a more accurate model of reality to be
> selected for their
> greater utility.

In that case, you could find support for your ideas
in a study of the 17th and 18th centuries,
specifically how, after the age of discovery,
Europe was confronted with a range of societies
far greater in number and variety than it had
suspected existed, and how this was a
major factor in engendering the Enlightenment.

- Phil G.