Re: Ethics (was FAI (aka 'Reality Hacking'))

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 10:12:56 MST

--- Jef Allbright <jef@jefallbright.net> wrote:

> Further, my key point, which I sometimes refer to as
> the "arrow of
> morality", is that there is a natural, physical
> trend toward greater
> objectivity as local systems interact to form larger
> systems. Implicit
> in this statement is that human values are indeed
> communicated and
> understood, accuracy increasing with breadth of
> interactions.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by constructing
an example. Do you mean, for instance, that
more-complex organisms have more objective beliefs?
So that the abstractions in the brain of a human are
more objective than the abstractions in the brain
of a spider? I would say that is false and the
opposite is true.

Do you mean that objectivity increases as time goes
on, so that a civilization gradually refines more
and more objectively true beliefs?

How does this principle apply to non-sentient systems?
Does it apply to weather patterns?

- Phil