Re: Human intelligence is obviously absurd

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 14:34:49 MST

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:34:39 -0800, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> People confuse ignorance with difficulty. Intelligence feels extremely
> hard because they don't know how to do it. Obviously, a problem so
> difficult as intelligence cannot be solved with 200Hz processors.

As Eliezer says, the secret lies in the code. We haven't yet got the
coding requirements specified.

Only a month ago I finally retired my old 486 25MHz (yes, 25MHz!)
computer up into the attic. I had it loaded up with lots of old DOS
games. We used to have to physically drag visiting kids off it. They
didn't really appreciate that the great games they were playing were
running on 25MHz hardware, compared to the 2500MHz that they were used
to.

It's not parallel programming, but good optimised code doesn't need a
GHz processor.

BillK