Re: When does it pay to play (lottery)?

From: maru (marudubshinki@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 16:27:06 MST

W/r/t the lottery: the intial chance doesn't really matter. What
matters is when you plug in that intial chance and possible payoff into
your utility formula, is the expected utility high enough to justify the
expense and oppurtunity costs?
As far as AI goes, I think (you don't have to agree with me here) that
barring existential threats or wholesale abandonment of tech, AI is
pretty close to a certainty- as others have pointed out, within the next
100 years it will be entirely feasible to bruteforce it. So the
relevant probability is the chance that a FAI will be first, and that
FAI is possible at all. Do you think it is less than several hundred
million to one (the most favorable odds for a multimillions jackpot I've
heard) that a FAI will be first?

~Maru