Re: When does it pay to play (lottery)?

From: maru (marudubshinki@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 12:44:50 MST

Your first paragraph doesn't make much sense. Of course if the event
you are betting on fails, you get nothing or less. The events where you
do win compensate, probablistically, for when you don't. That's why the
expected utility can never be equal to the reward of a success (unless
the probability is 1; but Bayesian reasoners we are, we know that unity
as a possibility is impossible.), but must always be less to compensate
for the failures. So expected utility *is* important. If you regard the
probability of a win as infintesmial (but not 0, bayesian reasoners we
are...), than the expected utility is likewise minuscule.
And my assesment of the chances that AI will be done and a win is
calculated through my own understandings of AI and the difficulty
thereof, the chance of a win, the computing power available now and in
the future (which allow more brute-force techniques to be used, lowering
the difficulty of AI). I cannot believe that it is easier to win a
Mega-millions jackpot for any one randomly selected ticket than for all
of humanity to develop an AI in the next 100 years.

~Maru