Re: When does it pay to play (lottery)?

From: maru (marudubshinki@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 18:28:46 MST

This is an issue of expected utility, is it not? The payoff for a
friendly Seed AI is orders of magnitudes higher than that for a
multi-million dollar jackpot (after taxes). I consider the chance of
Yudkowsky et al. succeeding to be considerably better (but still not
acceptable) than the billions-against lottery chances. Add in the higher
return, the expected utility is considerably higher for donating to the
Institute than for a lottery ticket.

~Maru