RE: Conservative Estimation of the Economic Impact of Artificial Intelligence

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 09:00:29 MST

Hi Justin,

My opinion is that nearly all intelligent businesspeople understand that a
powerful AGI would be amazingly economically lucrative.

However, by the same token, nearly all such folks feel that a powerful AGI
is a *long way off*.

It will not be at all difficult to get business partnerships or investment
money, in massive amounts, once one actually has a powerful AGI -- or a
sufficiently convincing technology demonstration that an average computer
science professor is convinced by it that one has the secret to building a
powerful AGI.

What is difficult is to get anyone to invest in R&D aimed at creating an
AGI -- precisely because they believe it's a long way off. And because the
mainstream of scientific researchers firmly believes and argues that it's a
long way off.

-- Ben G