Re: {Semi-Fluff} Anti-Singularitarianism

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 21:18:12 MST

On Dec 19, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Thomas Buckner wrote:
> I call this the lobster dinner problem. Let's say
> you have just proposed to your significant other
> over a delicious lobster dinner in a lovely
> restaurant overlooking the ocean, washed your
> food down whith the best champagne, kissed
> passionately, etc., etc. It's a very good day,
> yes?
> Not for the lobsters.
> Can a stable world exist which is all proposal
> dinners and no lobster deaths?

Sure.

In the limit, each sim might consist of so few
actual persons that each can have whatever they
need for contentment without interacting with
any others (except the sim operator(s)). However,
the only situation in which this would even be a
problem would be a sim in which there were people
who would be in pain in the absence of others'
suffering, and such a need could simply be edited
out of the possibilities for minds in that sim, or
simulacrums could be provided to satisfy such an
odd need.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
Lay diagnosis is *not* debate; you can be wrong even