Re: life extension - genomic tests

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 04:19:48 MST

Hmm. Last time I checked his theory is just that, theory. Whether it
actually says a lot about how reality really is is unknown. It is
doubtful there could actually be a way to validate universes with
radically different physical laws, or even the same laws. We know of
no way to prove the existence of other universes. Yet we treat the
theory so seriously as to use it to define our own morality.

Perhaps it is just me but this seems really absurd. We should define
morality first and foremost in terms of our own nature and concerns.
After we have a good handle on that and after we have evidence
broadening the scope, we can broaden our moral reasoning and action.
Instead we theorize about the moral implications of the universe while
often doing precious little in this one or even on this one world we
call home.

It is fun and all to speculate. But it feels like intellectual
masturbation much of the time.

-s