Re: META: Memes and War [was: Tomorrow is a new day]

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 18:00:09 MST

On Nov 13, 2004, at 5:48 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
> At 12:35 AM 13/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
>> Even as recently as a few hundred years ago in
>> Europe,
>
> To evolutionary psychology, nothing since the introduction of
> agriculture is significant. With extremely rare exceptions, there
> just has not been enough time for selection to take place. Evolution
> is a *slow* process for animals with generation times in decades.
> 100,000 years is just getting started.

I may come back to this later this evening, but having
read only this far, I want to exclaim that this was
*exactly my point*. If we can see that your hypothesis
didn't correctly predict the major cause of death during
a decades-long time of resource depletion only a few
hundred years ago, it seems clear that it isn't likely
to correctly predict the current day either, since there
hasn't been time for this kind of change!

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
"If you do not work on an important problem,