Re: Memes and War [was: Tomorrow is a new day]

From: Dani Eder (
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 11:01:36 MST

Kieth Henson wrote:
> Worse yet, it is hard to see how
> Islamic culture could change enough to accommodate
> the rise in the status
> of women needed for them to reduce the birth rate.
> For example, birth
> control is illegal in Saudi Arabia.

Despite that, the fertility rate in that country
has fallen by half a child (4.65 to 4.11) just since
1996. If you check this data source:

You will find that fertility rates are dropping
in pretty much every country where they are high.

Absolute population level is not what I worry about
so much, since there might not even be one more
doubling in human population. It's a situation
where 1% of the population owns the robotic
factories, and the other 99% are unempoyable.
That could happen starting in the next decade,
with up to several decades before a Singularity
renders the issue irrelevant. That's plenty of
time for irrational behaviour on the part of the
unemployable to make things difficult.

Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.