Re: The unbelievable Geddes

From: Aleksei Riikonen (aleksei@iki.fi)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 23:39:46 MST

Keith Henson wrote:
> One universal or near universal characteristic of cults is a serious
> lack of humor. The scientologists are a particularly sorry example of
> humorlessness. Those who have been in the fight a long time speak (in
> jest of course) of the cult member's sense of humor being surgically
> removed.
>
> SAI has a lot of potential to become very cult like. Injecting a bit
> of humor once in a while inhibits drifting in that direction.

Thanks for your warning, Keith. I agree with these points.

I don't think I have a problem with people being humorous in general. If
it weren't for my impression of Geddes focusing exclusively on somewhat
unproductive and crackpottish pursuits, I probably would not have been
irritated by his post. And I hope I'm wrong about him focusing solely on
such stuff, as I might well be.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei
Student of math and CS, University of Helsinki