Re: Tomorrow is a new day

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 07:54:49 MST

Cycorp revenues, mostly from U.S. government sponsors, are an order of
magnitude higher than the numbers mentioned here. Over the last three
years, our staff has numbered between 50 and 70. We have a mix of
programmers (some advanced degrees), philosophers and linguists. About
half the staff have completed their PhDs. Because working to create an AI
is highly satisfying, our founder/owner Doug Lenat has been able to retain
an outstanding staff at reasonable salaries in Austin, Texas. It helps
that the working environment is highly academic compared to say IBM or
Dell. We do not scrimp on hardware, and are moving to AMD64 white box
servers. We are a linux shop and that saves on software license fees.

We are able to win contracts that are mostly aligned with core tasks that
we want to do, and unlike some companies that compete with us for U.S.
government contracts, we have a single ongoing software system (Cyc) that
is enhanced by the contract tasks.

-Steve

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Michael Roy Ames wrote:

> I would concur with Michael Wilson on IT staffing costs. Today I just got
> home from an employee brainstorming day with Enkon, the company I work for
> (in Canada). The per employee remuneration cost is between $50 and $70K
> U.S. for high-quality and motivated staff. Bare subsistence pay is 1/3rd of
> those figures, depending on where you live.
>
> Michael Roy Ames

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org