Re: Tomorrow is a new day

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 01:53:54 MST

Keith Henson wrote:

> Coming at this business from the EP side, I think Collective Volition
> might not even be a good idea, though it might be that I don't
> understand some special meaning beyond the obvious meaning of the words.

You're missing the "more the people we wished we were" set of
transformations within "knew more, thought faster, more the people we
wished we were, had grown up farther together". If you give a lecture on
the evolutionary psychology of privation, and the lecture is correct, and
the listeners understand it fully, and they think that this is not who they
want to be when they grow up, then it wouldn't appear in their collective
*extrapolated* volition.

I'm not going to hook up a superintelligence to the decisions of Earthlings
the way we are now. Geeze, do I look that suicidal?