Re: Human mind Turing computable according to Eliezer

From: Anne Marie Tobias (mariet@got.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 04:39:31 MDT

This is exactly the point... the ontology is distinct and transcendant
of the meat, that is
self does not exist per se in the meat. The meat provide the necessary
environment for
self to occur and function. It's like describing the distinctions
between hardware and
software. The relationship is indeed intimate and the boundary unclear,
and yet,
software is purely language(process and data), hardware is purely
physical/structural.

The nature of human being exists purely within language (Heidegger -
"Language is the
house of Being.) Without language, the network of conversations that
distinguish self,
and relationship to others, vanishes.

This is not to say that the hardware has no influence on the expression
of self, simply
that what we perceive and experience as identity, history, personality,
are all functions
of conversations delimiting and expressing the context of self.

Perception is indeed a fascinating illusion. We are literally the end
result of several
billion years of survival. We take in billions of bit of data, while our
nervous systems
busily throw out all but the most interesting and urgent data. Our meat
is designed to
filter out useful information. Then our "World View", beliefs, opinions,
habituations,
and predelictions filter out most of the rest.

Recent PET and precision MRI scans tell us that conversations and
experience don't
exist in a single given location, but happen all over the brain. That a
single thought may
impact any or all of the senses, logic, emotion, memory, survival,
language, meaning,
and any of dozens of linked experiences in a cascade. This tells us that
our perception
of consciousness is indeed complex, multilayered, and involves dozens of
unique
cognitive systems working transparently in concert. That is the nature
of how the meat
makes the conversations of self possible. The content of those
conversation is distinct
nonetheless from the meat.

Marie