RE: Why I'm not more involved with academia

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:40:35 MDT

Eli,

Honestly, getting a PhD, getting and holding a professor job, and getting
offers of tenure was pretty easy for me to do in my "spare time" while
working on my own whacky research with most of my time. I reckon the same
would be true for you. I could be wrong, of course. But I note that my
opinion here is based on a lot of actual knowledge about real universities,
gained via experience.... On this particular topic your opinions don't seem
well-grounded in experience.

About recruiting a PhD to be your spokesperson -- I guess the only way this
would work, would be if you found someone who was an intellectual and
visionary roughly equal to you, and wanted to collaborate with you and be
the spokesperson for your collective work. That would be great. But short
of that, I don't think that recruiting a spokesperson will work. People
don't want to talk to the spokesman, they want to talk to *da man*, the
visionary genius behind it all.... Eliezer-with-academic-legitimacy would
be a far better money magnet than
Eliezer-plus-a-buddy-with-academic-respectibility-but-no-genius....

But anyway, I can see you're determined to follow your own idiosyncratic
path regardless of all this sage advice of mine ;-) ... and of course, I
wish you good fortune!

-- Ben G