Re: SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

From: Mikko Särelä (msarela@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 15:59:26 MDT

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:18:02PM -0400, Jeff Medina wrote:
> > This reminds me of a another approach to garnering research
> > support that SIAI has apparently eschewed and left me wondering
> > why: instead of Wiki and intelligence.org publications, why not
> > submit papers on AGI and AI ethics / existential risk to
> > peer-reviewed publications and conferences?
>
> IIRC, Eliezer is not allowed to put Ph.D. after his name. That
> pretty much rules out this avenue of approach.

Papers can and are published in scientific journals regardless of whether
people submitting are Ph.D.'s or not. In fact quite many Ph.D. students
do that (and in Finland you're almost required to do that before you can
get Ph.D.).

Yes, I would also be interested in why part of the work is not publishing
those ideas and that knowledge in academic peer reviewed journals and
conferences.

I also believe that if this was done, it would make it easier to convince
people that what SIAI is doing, is useful research.

--
Mikko Särelä
     "I too don't really find Monty Python all that exciting, but don't