RE: [agi] A difficulty with AI reflectivity

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 05:32:28 MDT

Hi,

While it's true that human reasoning is probabilistic (and also based on
non-explicitly-probabilistic heuristics for uncertainty management), that's
not the main point regarding the applicability of Godel's Theorem and
associated results to human intelligence. I think the main point is that
human reasoning is inconsistent, unlike theorem-proving-based AI systems.
Probabilistic systems can still be treated within the standard framework of
mathematical logic. Treating inconsistent systems within the formal logic
framework is harder, though there have been many attempts, e.g. under the
name of "paraconsistent logic." In fact I think the human brain displays a
special kind of probabilistic paraconsistency.

About impracticality -- Schmidhuber (whose Godel machine Eli is discussing)
is trying to make a theory of AGI by starting from
infinite-processing-power AGI and "working down" to finite-processing-power
AGI. I guess this approach can give significant insights, but it can't tell
you everything you need to know to make a finite-processing-power AGI...

-- Ben