Re: [agi] A difficulty with AI reflectivity

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 15:21:51 MDT

Jeff Medina wrote:

> You won't ever find anything in the literature on how to prove that a
> system of proof is infallibily truth-producing outside of the context of
> said system of proof (or even how to prove that system-of-proof A is
> more consistently truth-producing than system-of-proof B; not outside of
> the context of system-of-proof A, B, or X) because even if someone were
> to come up with something that looked like a proof that "wraps around"
> as you put it, they (or the journal editors/referees) would reject it as
> unsound, due to a reductio ad absurdum. Namely, because it would
> contradict that which the rest of proof theory claims is true; that wrap
> around is impossible -- truth is forever uncertain at its base. We
> cannot avoid inserting potentially unsound assumptions.

If you meant something else by this than that no consistent system can
prove its own consistency, then sorry for the misattribution. I also
acknowledge that you did not suggest any specific literature.

I wish people would realize that I know the basics, but sometimes I do make
embarassing mistakes, as with the recent discussion of fleeing an UFAI at
near-lightspeed. (It's not that I didn't know the math, it's that I
guessed intuitively, instead of taking ten seconds to derive quantitatively
the subjective lifespan of the escapee... stupid of me.)