Re: The Future of Human Evolution

From: Sebastian Hagen (sebastian_hagen@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 16:06:31 MDT

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
> In the TMOL FAQ you've got an algorithm that searches for
> a solution and has no criterion for recognizing a solution.
I see.

> If you claim that you know absolutely nothing about objective morality,
> how would you look at an AI, or any other well-defined process, and
> claim that it did (or for that matter, did not) compute an objective
> morality?
I can't, really. More intelligence isn't likely to help in finding an
answer if my question is entirely meaningless.

> Why would any answer you recognized as reasonable be non-eudaemonic?
I wasn't certain that it would be; eudaemonia just lacked justification
imo. I regarded it as a possible answer, but didn't consider it any more
likely than, say, 'maximize the number of paperclips in the universe'.
But considering that 'objective morality' is ill-defined, I suppose
expecting any objective justification was unreasonable.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Sebastian Hagen