Re: All is information (was: All is number)

From: Christian Szegedy (szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 05:39:42 MDT

Marc Geddes wrote:

>It just means that new kinds of insight and ingenuity
>would constantly have to be deployed in order to get
>more and more digits. And presumably the digits
>obtained would not be absolutely certain to be correct
>(just highly probable). That's my interpretation.

Yes. There is a number of digits after you provably can't prove
the correctness of your sequence.

I don't think that one could ever precisely define the notion of
"certainity about the correctness" of a mathematical statement.

One can even easily prove that there are "short" statements
whose shortest proof (or refutation) (e.g. in ZFC) would need more
characters then particles in the known universe.