Re: 'The Libertarian-Transhumanist Philosophical Platform'

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 04:50:22 MDT

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> This was Tyler interviewing me over IRC, (long) before Tyler was
> attached to SIAI. The "" is definitely not verbatim and you're correct,
> I should not have given that impression. The raison d'etre of this
> interview was that it would not require four months for me to write up;
> I would provide the interview off-the-cuff, over IRC, and Tyler would
> edit the information. It turned out that we had different ideas of what
> "editing" meant - I thought it meant rewriting the raw information from
> scratch to express the same ideas, Tyler thought it meant adding
> punctuation and capitalizing the sentences. (Again, this was all back
> in 2002.) I'm not currently in the loop for SIAI website control;
> occasionally things I write get posted to it somewhere, if Tyler or
> Anissimov thinks they sound useful.

BTW, I'm not trying to place blame on Tyler - rather, the interview sort of
just happened one day, and then it just happened to get posted to SIAI's
website. It's not a major, edited, composed document. It's an IRC
interview with punctuation. I was aware the interview was getting posted
to SIAI's website, but I couldn't bring myself to read it because of the
two-years rule. I can't read anything I wrote two or more years ago. When
I try my brain shuts down and refuses to function, like a compiler that
generates too many error messages. In 2004 someone said they wanted to
post the interview to intelligence.org. As I could no longer actually read it,
I just gritted my teeth and hoped that whatever unknown stuff was in the
interview, it wasn't too awful. I'm trying hard to steer clear of website
issues, tick tick tick.

What I'm working up to here is that this wasn't a major, planned,
stab-Eugen-in-the-back diabolical plot. Back in 2002, Tyler asked me, over
IRC, what my response was to your position, so I, off-the-cuff, summarized
your position as best I could. Feel free to provide a more appropriate
characterization of your positions. By default SIAI is just taking down
that section entirely.