RE: We Can't Fool the Super Intelligence

From: Mike (mikew12345@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 00:39:18 MDT

Put this on a much larger scale and see if it still makes as much sense.
How much intelligence is there in a petri dish culture? Does your
argument still apply? "Don't destroy that specimen in the dish, because
it might contain a unique source of information."

Once the study of the virus is done, the usual thing to do is to destroy
the sample. If the AI is truly thousands of times more intelligent than
us, it may not take it too long to decide that it's learned all that's
useful from us.

Additionally, the AI will undoubtedly have many new and interesting
things to occupy its time; things that we can't begin to imagine. Human
existence may be as interesting to the AI as the daily routine of a sea
slug is to the average human today.

Unless the AI perceives a real *need* for humans to exist, (a need as
basic as the hardware it runs on), the need to remove humans may win
out. We consume more than our share of resources, we foul up the
planet, we fight amongst ourselves, etc. We may have value as another
source of information, but is that enough to balance the equation?
Especially when the AI can run all the simulations it wants, in all the
multiverse permutations imaginable, without the associated impact on the
planet? A nuclear holocaust has value as a source of information, but
that doesn't mean we should have one.

I think our future is shaky unless:
1) humans are essential for the continued existence of the AI, and more
importantly,
2) the AI accepts #1 as true.

Mike W.