Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking 'Hippy dippy moral philosophy'

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 19:08:17 MDT

> environment. As EO Wilson puts it, we are just incredibly lucky that over
> some threshold of wealth women drastically reduce the number of children
> they have. Otherwise wars would have killed upwards of two billion more
in
> the last century than they did.

Wouldn't perceived wealth relate to the abundance of resources still
available in the environment? As a population approaches the resource limit,
people should start getting poorer and poorer, since there isn't enough
stuff to go around; so why wouldn't women produce less children below some
certain threshold rather than above?
Also, from a woman's perspective, abundance of wealth means that kids need
to be less genetically endowed to make it, therefore there should be a
tendency toward making more children but faster (less body weight at birth).

mq