Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking 'Hippy dippy moral philosophy'

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 15:03:22 MDT

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 "Keith Henson" <hkhenson@rogers.com> said:

> I think you are loading "objective" with more than a
> standard meaning I need to understand the way your
> are defining the word.

>From the dictionary you cited, Objective is: “as perceived without
distortion of personal feelings or interpretation”. You can’t have a
morality without personal feelings and I wouldn’t want to. Some on this
list have said morality is as objective as gravity, and I think that is
nonsense

> I make the case that objective morality, that is a
> morality that is more or less common across the
> human species, exists.

If that were true history would be a lot less bloody. Now I agree most
people think murder is bad, but there is a troublesome minority who
think its great fun. Except for a few tautologies (good is better than
bad) you couldn’t come anywhere close to 100% agreement on any moral
question.

John K Clark