Re: Notice of technical term: "Volition"

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 23:35:26 MDT

On Jun 15, 2004, at 2:49 PM, David K Duke wrote:

>> In the initial dynamic? Yesssssssssss! Because there's no way in
>> hell
>> that your current conscious will is going to understand the
>> successor
>> dynamic, much less construct it. No offense.
>
> Okay, I understand. But at the same time, I just don't want to
> transcend
> yet. And I don't think you have the right to tell me (or program
> something) to make me do that. I suppose that doesn't matter to you
> though if you've thought think far does it?

A personal adviser/trainer/nag that you are welcome to ignore (at your
peril) and constant backups when you really screw up might be an
alternative that does less violence to self-will. It might in fact be
the only moral (for some values of moral) to proceed.

>> Will the successor dynamic do anything without your current
>> conscious will?
>> My guess is, yes, that is what is wise/benevolent/good-of-humanity
>> etc.,
>> which is to say, if you thought about it for a few years you would
>> decide
>> that that was the right decision. Philip Sutton and some others
>> seem to
>> think that this is not only unwise, it would be unwise for the
>> successor
>> dynamic to do anything other than present helpful advice.
>
> Once there is a (virtually) all-powerful, benevolent being, what's the
> hurry to force us what to do? Do you know about a not-so-friendly AI
> traveling at light speed towards us or something?

Worse! We die irrevocably all too easily currently before we "grow
up". I don't think it is friendly just to say "oh, well" if it is
possible to do anything about it.

>> No, not even for the sake of public relations. The
>> public
>> relations thingy is a lost cause anyway.
>
> Well it surely is now. Do you think the politicians and military would
> just hand over their wills, even if you say their "future" selves would
> approve? There's a good chance this concept of yours could get some
> very
> bad press - and worse - governmental/police/military/whatever
> intervention.

There was nothing said about "handing over their wills".

- samantha