Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 11:53:12 MDT

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 "Randall Randall" <randall@randallsquared.com> said:

> > If morality is truly objective then any correlation between the wishes
> > of a person and the readings on the meter are purely coincidental, you
> > might as well flip a coin as look at the meter.

> In the same way as the objectivity of length
> means that any correlation between a person's
> estimate of a distance and the readings on an
> odometer are purely coincidental?

If I estimate that the edge of a cliff is 100 feet away and I walk 60
feet toward it there will be consequences if the edge is really only 50
feet away; but if the meter says putting on a green hat on Thursday is
horribly evil and I do it anyway there are no consequences to me or
anybody else.

John K Clark