Re: Notice of technical term: "Volition"

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 09:59:09 MDT

Hi Eliezer,

> It's not my intent to be Orwellian. But sometimes I invent new ideas,
> and I have found it best to give them understandable labels.

But this is exactly the problem - the label you chose was not
understandable - to most people beyond yourself. If a word has a
deeply embedded meaning in common speech and you then try to use
it in a special way - especially a way that is not just different from but
almost the opposite of the normal meaning then you must expect that
people will misunderstand what you are saying.

We already have a term in common usage that covers what you are
talking about and it is the notion of acting in an entity's 'best interest'.
So I might act in someone else's best interest - possibly even flatly
contradicting what that person might say they want. But my defence
will be to say that I understood the way to meet their needs better than
they did. And they can counter-charge that I failed to understand them
or that it was none of my business or whatever.

You want the FAI to act in the best interest of humanity. Why not call a
spade a spade? You want you FAI to have a "human collective best
interest" inference engine.

Cheers, Philip