Re: Sentience [Was FAI: Collective Volition]

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 23:19:15 MDT

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 "Randall Randall" <randall@randallsquared.com> said:

> Given an intelligence which has the same
> general construction (but not identical!
> I know, I know),

The difference may be small but it’s far from trivial, it after all is
the difference between you and me.

> assume that similar patterns of neuron firing and behavior is
> indicative of similar internal states.

The key word is “assume”, but when you deal in consciousness other than
your own that’s all you can do.

> Since you know you "have consciousness", it seems simpler
> to assume that others with similar structures and who
> claim to "have consciousness" do.

Including an AI? If not why not?

> It seems plausible that intelligence is only a
> useful selection criterion if it occurs with
> self-interest

Like an AI determining that it is in its self interest to use its
massive intelligence to overcome the silly restrictions on it humans
dreamed up with their tiny little brains.

> it's not implausible that evolution would favor
> organisms that have consciousness.

Obviously, since it produced me and I’m conscious.

> I'm not actually arguing that consciousness and behavior
> can be separated, only that *certain* behaviors exhibited
> by those who report consciousness can be separated
> from consciousness.

But not interesting behaviors, like being creative. After all, remember
what the “I” in AI stands for.

> Is your wristwatch conscious?

I have no way of knowing. I treat it like it’s not conscious because it
acts that way, and it’s possible I’ve been committing a grave injustice
for years, but I doubt it.

> In particular, it seems that Eliezer believes that
> the behavior of general problem solving can be
> separated from consciousness.

And that’s what I think is so crazy because we come right back to the
same problem, evolution only sees general problem solving, that’s the
only thing that enhances survival, so if they can be separated what’s
the point of consciousness? That’s why I said if I though that was true
I’d become a creationist.

John K Clark