Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: Thomson Comer (remail@zombieworld.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 22:12:42 MDT

Please forgive the double posts.

Your assertion that morality is objective indicates that you hold
some particular belief or intellectual construct that provides answers. It provides answers to certain questions about the nature of life and existence within our medium, according to the methods which you use to define the world. These methods all coalesce into a greater system that defines what principles of evolution exist within your belief structure - and this is what an ideology is.

Morals are undefinable because they are memetic. Your awareness and every feature of that awareness is a construct of two things - your base code and your surroundings. Your awareness is constructed from the from your surroundings, through every phase of your development. Indeed, your awareness is a construct of every surrounding you have ever experienced and every intellectual construct they have created (your upbringing).

Upbringing is a memetic constructor - it combines the status of your life-conditions, the internal chemical processes, the memes that form your language structure, and the unique implications of individual events. Upbringing is, fundamentally, an ideological development system. Your awareness is a product created by the life engine that you developed within - bringing your ideology and the things which you call Holy.

Your experiences are totally unique to you, and therefor you have your own take on the ideology that you were formed within. In fact you may have a completely counter-cultural personality, or you have mix and matched awareness constructed from individual events you have witnessed. Certainly, something of all of us are unique, but we are constructed by our surroundings and cannot exist independently of them.

Your intrinsic beliefs are immutably linked with the meme your mind is - this meme is your ideology (and everything else in there). Because of this, each of our cognitive systems develops along unique paths that are influenced strongly by the social envirions from which we are grown. Your assertion that your morality of beliefs is objectivly the truth is utterly equivalent to you asserting that I am a sinner, violating the principles of life according to your god.

Our mechanisms are evolutionary molecular systems that have been stewed over a multi-billion year period. We are made from vast quantities of semi-random interactions on molecular levels - each of our base components is built from abstract layers of complexity. Each of these systems interacts on an utterly automated level, constructing into greater and greater layers of abstraction. Continue up the chain of relationships and your sentience is constructed - continue further and construct your ideology.

Ideology, culture, society and morals are machines built from the component parts of you and I.

Thomson Comer