Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: Elias Sinderson (elias@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 19:06:59 MDT

Mike wrote:

>Since you used the gravity example, I'll use a similar example. I think
>that saying there must be an objective morality is like saying there
>must be an objective time system. But in the end it's all relative to
>the observer, isn't it?

+1, with some reservations (see below)...

>Remove humans from the universe and where is morality? You can't say
>the same thing about gravity. Seems to me the concept of morality is a
>human invention.

+1 although your analogy with time breaks down at this point since time
would still exist if there were no observers (human or otherwise) left
in the mix.

I'll have to come back to Hitler and the Samurai when I can find more
time - I'm not entirely certain I agree wholeheartedly with your
characterizations...

Regards,
Elias