RE: SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 06:45:26 MDT

> > Yes of course you can use volunteers
>
> Probably not, you need to think about this stuff nearly 24/7
> to make serious progress on it.

I think this is almost, but not quite true. From my own experience with
Novamente, it is rare for someone to be able to contribute part-time,
but not impossible. Nearly all attempts to do so have failed. Of the
two successful attempts, one is quite recent, and the other ended up
with the guy working on Novamente full-time after he really got deeply
into it.

I think we could organize the NM project in such a way that part-timers
could more easily (though not *easily*) make a contribution. However,
reorganizing things in this way would require a lot of work that we have
not had the time to undertake.

-- Ben G