Re: One or more FAIs??

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 10:05:10 MDT

On Mon, 31 May 2004 "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew@ceruleansystems.com> said:

>we are a long way from doing what the brain can do.

Well yes, but a long way is not synonymous with infinite distance, and I
thought the entire point of this list was to discuss what would happen
when that long distance has been traveled.

>Multiplexing has a latency price tag, but you are
>treating it as though it comes free.

But multiplexing is free, at least as far as this topic is concerned
because if it’s essential for an AI to do multiplexing then the human
brain must be doing something equivalent, and that takes time too; the
delay is no so great that the 2 sides of our brain become 2 individuals.
The signals in a AI would move 3 million times faster than those in our
brain so parts of the same individual could be thousands of miles apart
and the resultant individuality would be no more shattered than ours are.

  John K Clark