Intelligent software agents

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 07:02:11 MDT

The work by European Telecoms might be of interest:

http://more.btexact.com/projects/ibsr/technologythemes/softwareagents.htm

The text below was taken from this webpage:

Software Agents

To support the future enterprise, we deploy intelligent technology based
on a decentralised philosophy in which decisions are made by
interacting autonomous units or agents. Global structure and behaviour
is emergent, resulting from the cumulative effects of actions and
interactions of agents.

Methodologies for Engineering Multi-agent systems

We are keen to utilise the knowledge we have developed in building
multi agent systems to help ourselves and others in modelling
distributed enterprises and building multi-agent solutions. Currently this
research is realised by the MESSAGE project and funded PhD projects.
Future research is likely to consider how we can add more
methodological support to the ZEUS agent toolkit.
http://www.btexact.com/projects/agents/zeus/

MESSAGE (Methodology for Engineering Systems of Software Agents)
is a methodology for developing multi-agent systems. It is a
collaborative project conducted by EURESCOM, an institute for
collaborative R&D in telecommunications. Also involved in MESSAGE
are France Télécom, TILAB, Portugal Telecom, Broadcom, Telefónica
and Belgacom.

While most current software engineering methodologies are designed
for an object-oriented approach, MESSAGE is specifically designed for
developing agent solutions. MESSAGE aims to extend existing
methodologies by allowing them to support agent oriented software
engineering. By using such concepts as goal, task, role and interaction
from analysis through design and implementation, the developer is able
to focus on and document the specific concerns of agent functionality,
leading to quick, robust solutions.

Patterns and Role Models
We are proponents of the use of organisational patterns and role
models in developing agent systems. Patterns are living methodologies
that are generative and can deal with change. Role models can be
used to describe organisations in terms of patterns of collaboration and
interaction. Role models can be used to conceptualise, specify, design
and implement new organisations made up of people, processes,
agents and other entities.

--------

Cheers, Philip