RE: Consciousness and falsifiability

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 10:17:46 MDT

On Fri, 28 May 2004 "Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org> said:

Me:
>> So, you're saying "conscious agents" will make sounds with
>> their mouths that "non conscious agents" would find imposable
>> to mimic with their mouths. Why? And exactly what are these
>> unique sounds?

Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org>

>No, I'm saying that the REPORTED INTENSITY OF AWARENESS
>as reported by people

Translation: The noise produced by people with their mouth.

>will be greater when brain imaging shows a
>greater amount of new pattern emerging in their brains.

My question remains the same, why couldn’t a suitably programmed non
conscious Turing Machine produce exactly the same noise?

>It does not address the question of the "ultimate reality"
>of the reported experiential phenomena.

I agree, it does not tell you if the subjects are actually conscious or
not. So what’s the point?

John K Clark

                          unladen european swallow