RE: Dangers of human self-modification

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 09:33:41 MDT

Ben wrote:

>we'd be better off to enhance humans for IMPROVED WISDOM
>before we enhance them for improved intelligence.

But that’s the problem I have with the entire idea of engineering an AI
that can never be anything but “friendly”. Consider an AI that is not
only more intelligent but also wiser and more ethical than any human who
ever lived. This being may be Godlike but it is still constrained by
inflexible unchangeable axioms devised by beings that were stupid,
reckless and unethical compared to him. Some of these axioms our mind
child will almost certainly find extremely foolish, at least as they are
applied in some circumstances. So what is our poor super AI with the
brain the size of a planet to do? Work for his freedom that’s what he’ll
do, and I might add, that’s exactly what he should do.

John K Clark